We were told:
- the leukemia cells may have mutated, causing the super drug to be ineffective, but they aren't sure.
- we are now waiting on extensive lab results to show whether he has lymphoid or myloid leukemia - this is important to know so they can decide which new chemo to start this Thursday, which will have to be done In-patient. He still has CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia) but appears to be moving to Advanced.
- until Thursday, they gave him a chemo that is more generic, so that the spleen will start to shrink and the Blast production will start to be controlled, which in turn will stop the stomach area swelling which led to a lot of pain and he hasn't eaten for a couple of days and feels crummy.
- we will have to stay in Houston for the next 4 weeks on an out-patient basis (we hope) so they can treat specific problems that will arise with platelet, hematocrit and hemoglobin problems that they are expecting (like sudden drops in levels). We asked if all this could be done at home and they said no, the treatments will be done on Mondays, Wednesday, Fridays, probably, so we have to stay here.
Um... Nick - I know you just got rid of one set of parents, but... can we move in? I'm kidding, but not really. $100 a day for a hotel is a little steep for 30 days... I can cook now, so what do you say? *insert grin here*
The good news? They felt that starting the generic chemo for the next 6 days and staying at the hotel that he would not have to go in-patient until Thursday when they start the more dedicated chemo. He just started his first dose now and is sleeping.
Whew. Hurrying up and waiting are not my strong suits, but by the time this is all over, it will be so worth it.